http://parismorningsnewyorknights.blogspot.com/2015/12/an-ode-to-san-francisco.html Wild Young Minds: Living in the city

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Living in the city

No, it won't be New York, and no, it won't be Paris either, but from August I'll be living in the most beautiful city of the Netherlands: Amsterdam.
Because yes, I have a room!

Yesterday I was having a look in the building with a friend of mine. The aunt of my mother told me her granddaughter lived there, so I signed up for an information evening and well, that evening was yesterday. The building isn't finished yet, that's why a part of the contract is that we, the 260 students that will be living there, will work 48 hours this summer to help finishing the building. I'm very curious what they want me to be, cause I'm afraid I'm not a great construction worker. But my friends/family can help and their hours will be part of the 48 hours I have to fill, so that's gonna be a lot of fun.

The building is located in Amsterdam Sloterdijk, facing the Slotervaart hospital. Very close to the building there's a metro station so I'm very happy with that. The room will be very small (about 11 m2) but the price is amazing: only 265,50 euros per month. We will be sharing toilets, showers and kitchen with a group. There'll be about 4 groups per floor and about 16 persons per group. I hope to have nice housemates but I'm sure that'll work out fine. Almost turning into a positive person here ;)

When the building is finished, there'll also be a restaurant and a bar. Great, right? And one of the best things is, the friend that was joining me that evening will be my neighbour next year! After we signed the contract (quite thrilling to do without your parents, for one moment I really felt like a grown-up already!) we walked through Amsterdam laughing and being extremely happy. We looked like two antisocial people staring at our mobiles and telephoning as well.

So, after my exams I'll probably be spending a lot of time deciding how to decorate my room, buying things like pans, glasses, etc. Can't wait till the time is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment