http://parismorningsnewyorknights.blogspot.com/2015/12/an-ode-to-san-francisco.html Wild Young Minds: Tattoo number Two

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tattoo number Two

They say that once you get one, you'll be destined - or doomed - to get more. Only 1,5 years after my first tattoo, I made the trip back to the tattoo shop and got myself another one. Not after thinking carefully about the design of course. It had to be another word or line, for sure. So it soon became clear that 'On the Road' would be the most logical option.
Why this line? Firstly because it's my favourite book - Kerouac, hero - and secondly, because it's one of the most important things in my life. Now, but probably in ten or twenty years as well.  Travelling, experiences, going somewhere, but never arriving. 'Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life' (On the Road - Jack Kerouac). That's pretty much my life summed up. Work hard, travel far. The third reason - not that I need to give you my reasons, but I assume you'll be slightly interested, since it's always the first thing people ask - is my passion for running. This tattoo is also a sort of reward for the half marathon I ran last May. That's why it's situated on my foot. Close to the road, ready to depart. Start me up :)
Faith turned out well, since one of my best friends Ramai - as big a music freak as myself - had been thinking about getting a second one as well, so we could take one together! We made an appointment with Henk a few weeks ago, who works at House of Tattoos in Amsterdam. Definitely a recommendation. It's a small, cosy shop, the artists take you seriously and give good advice. 
Ramai's tattoo took more than half a hour (he wanted the cell number of Nelson Mandela - 46664 - on his ankle) so I felt slightly anxious. Furthermore, I'd heard several times that the side of the foot is one of the most painful spots on your body. After he'd started, Henk said: 'Are you okay? This spot seems pretty painful to me'. But reality was better. It didn't hurt that much at all! I don't know if it's my threshold of pain or just the situation, but I don't know why people complain about the foot. Now, 8 hours later, I don't even feel the burning anymore. I only see my tattoo. And what I see is marvellous. 

By the way, the handwriting is my own. My previous tattoo was written by myself as well, so I guess it won't be long 'till my entire body is covered in my own doodles :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment