http://parismorningsnewyorknights.blogspot.com/2015/12/an-ode-to-san-francisco.html Wild Young Minds: Pitch Festival 2013

Friday, July 12, 2013

Pitch Festival 2013

Never thought I'd be that big a fan of electronic music but Pitch was a hell of a party. Two days of music, food and sun in Westerpark (Amsterdam), what else can you wish for? To speak for myself, that's probably the best you can give me. It definitely was exhausting but it was completely worth it. We were extremely lucky to have two summer days (which are very rare in Holland) so we could relax outside as well. 
The artists I mainly bought my ticket for were AlunaGeorge and James Blake. James Blake performed the first day and gave a magnificent show. He sat behind his little table and made the entire audience dance their feet off. Especially his newest single 'Retrograde' was mindblowing, such an overwhelming sound, which I really love about his music. Other artists we saw the first day were Fat Freddy's Drop, a band from New-Zealand who played uptempo music. The show was hilarious. There were three old men wearing crazy outfits and one of them was even wearing sport shorts and long white sport socks. Once in a while he took off a garment until his shorts was the only thing left.
Flume, an artist whom I had never heard off, was amazing as well. Just a young guy standing in the Gashouder, entertaining hundreds of dancing people. The light effects at this show were the best of all the shows I'd seen so far. Unfortunately we didn't see a lot of Azealia Banks, since James Blake was performing at exactly the same time at her. Eventually we saw the last 2 songs of her show, one of them was 212! Azealia Banks wore fewer clothes than Britney Spears in the days she was still fit, so you can imagine what kind of show it was. Amazing, indeed.
Hudson Mohawke was a bit disappointing. His music wasn't really danceable, cause it changed every second. Innovating, yes. Agreeable, no. So we decided to have some mint tea (coffee for me of course) and Indonesian spekkoek (de-li-ci-ous) and listened to the silent disco of FS Green. I realized I really love different kinds of music but that music is my absolute nummer 1: bedroom soul & club r&b. 

We started the second day with making some waffles at home and sitting in the sun at Pitch. The first artist we saw was Chvrches, an electronic band with a tiny singer dressed in a red dress. It sounded really good but considering the fact I couldn't sing along with a single song, I couldn't wait for the next artist that would perform: AlunaGeorge. What a show. I have loved AlunaGeorge for quite some time now, especially the songs 'You know you like it' and 'Just a Touch'. These were the first two songs they performed but the show didn't become less good after my favourites had ended. On the contrary, they had made their own version of 'This is how we do it' and they also performed 'White Noise', which they had produced together with Disclosure. Aluna had such an attitude, she looked extremely fit in a croptop and sporty shorts. She has almost a childish body but it suits her.
After AlunaGeorge we rushed to see Disclosure, which was one of the highlights of the weekend. I danced till my entire body was covered in sweat (not sure if this sounds cool or just disgusting) and we had so much fun (this just sounds too joyful but it was true though!). After Disclosure we went to see Cashmere Cat, a DJ. This was the last artist we saw, it was more club music than festival. I enjoyed the music but it was a bit too crowded to really enjoy the show. 
All in all, Pitch was a festival to turn into a tradition. The line-up was amazing, the atmosphere was all good and the weather was even better. I could finally wear my festival outfits (almost all my clothes are festival-worthy so you can imagine I was very delighted I could finally wear them) and I ate the most delicious food (especially lots of falafel). My feet were happy it was over but my mind and soul definitely weren't. No worries, this afternoon I'm going to North Sea and I'm sure the whole festival thing will be repeated in a good way again. That's the life I love :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment