http://parismorningsnewyorknights.blogspot.com/2015/12/an-ode-to-san-francisco.html Wild Young Minds: Though we can't stand the rain, we definitely can stand Festival Mundial

Monday, June 27, 2011

Though we can't stand the rain, we definitely can stand Festival Mundial


To be brief - something I'm really bad at - Mundial was amazing again.
Me and one of my friends went on Saturday, we already bought our tickets before we even know who was going to perform.
A few weeks later we heard Wyclef Jean was coming (you know, the one from the songs with Shakira and a former member of the Fugees) so we were head-over-heels.
But of course, he cancelled it - so typical, those kind of things always happen to me.


Anyway, a few weeks later I received an email which said that we could vote on some artists to come. India.Arie was one of them! She's an amazing inspiration and terrific singer, and I thought I was going to pass out if she would come to Tilburg. But of course she didn't come either - Triggerfinger (some Belgian rock band) showed up. I was pissed off so I deliberately didn't want to hear one song of them. Blugh.


Other artists who came were Selah Sue (we saw here a month ago, but she was awesome as always!) and Paolo Nutini (you know, the wasted guy from 'Hey, I put some new shoes on and suddenly everything is right'). We also saw Mamas Gun, described as a funky soul band, but unfortunately their lead singer had lost his voice so the session was pretty disappointing.

Thank god the atmosphere at Mundial was amazing (lots of stalls with delicious food from all over the world and alternative clothes and rings) because the weather really sucked. It rained and it rained and it rained. God was with us during Selah Sue because the umbrella's were gone by then. I really enjoyed Selah Sue but you could easily tell a small and intimate concert fits her better. This concert few people in the audience actually knew her songs and could sing along. She was standing a lot further from the audience as well (because the stage was further away).



Paulo Nutini was exactly as I thought he would be. A sociable but quite odd person, he looked as if he was under the influence of I don't know what. He was mumbling all sorts of words but no one knew what the hell he was talking about. But when he sang it was a lot more clear, everybody knows 'Hey, I put some new shoes on!' and 'Candy' was brilliant as well. Conclusion: We can't stand the rain, but music makes everything good. It really does.

No comments:

Post a Comment