http://parismorningsnewyorknights.blogspot.com/2015/12/an-ode-to-san-francisco.html Wild Young Minds: Baby you can drive my car

Friday, December 23, 2011

Baby you can drive my car

For a few months my dad has been working on a fabulous project. He's been very busy with it, put all of his energy in it (just like I always do, he kind of looks like me, my dad.. or is it the other way around?) but I'm sure the result will be marvellous.

What is it I'm talking about? Well, as I posted about a year ago, my dad is in advertisement. Not like you see it in 'Mad Men'(so not for an advertising agency) but he's dealing with the history of advertising. The only advertisement historian in the Netherlands in fact. But since, well, about a year, he's also a curator (he composes exhibitions). Last year he worked on 'Reclameklassiekers' about the classic Dutch advertising compains and this year he's working on: car advertisement.

The exhibition is called 'Blij dat ik Rij - 125 jaar autoreclame' (for my non-Dutch followers: 'Glad that I drive - 125 years of car advertisement') and will take place in the 'Louwman Museum' in The Hague from February 17 2012 until April 15 2012. And yes, I'm advertising the exhibition right here, so HELL YEAH, YOU SHOULD GO!

But another reason to go, is because the car advertisements you'll see, are really awesome. For instance, the Beetle (yes with an 'e') add on Abbey Road, known from the famous record of The Beatles. Other topics that will be shown are the early start of car advertisement (end of the 1800s), cars for women and cars for business.

And since you'll be there anyway in a couple of months, take a look at the catalogue as well. It shows you all the advertisements and, more important, I've co-operated on it.. for like, a little bit. I made the bibliography and I checked the pieces on obvious mistakes (cause concercing the content, I know nothing about cars or advertising, I just leave that to my dad).

Anyway, if you love cars, or if you love authentical adds, or if you just love to go to the Hague and have a lovely day, visit this exhibition. You don't even have to know that much of cars to go there, cause my dad, he doesn't even have a driving licence himself ;)


'Oh lord, won't you buy me, a Mercedes Benz?' as Janis Joplin once sang. I'm sure you have the same feeling once you've been there. Or alright, a Ford Mustang, Rolls-Royce or Cadillac will do as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment