http://parismorningsnewyorknights.blogspot.com/2015/12/an-ode-to-san-francisco.html Wild Young Minds: Soul of Motown

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Soul of Motown

'I can't help myself', 'Papa was a Rolling Stone', 'Let's get it on'.
I can name a hundred more songs, which may sound pretty unfamiliar with you.
I can tell you, the minute you hear the song, you'll recognize it.
Classic soul songs that make you want to swing your ass of.

Motown, initially Tamla Motown, was a record label founded by Berry Gordon Jr. and was based in 'Motor Town' also known as Detroit. Motown was important in the the racial integration of Afro-American music in the USA. In the 1960s and 1970s Motown was world famous. Great artists as Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye (hallelujah, I love him), the Jackson Five, Diana Ross and the Supremes, the Temptations and many, many more joined the label. It's music style was various: soul, pop, rhytym & blues and hip hop.

Motown records still exists though it's based in New York and is called Universal Motown. Artists as India.Arie, Erykah Badu, Damian Marley and our Dutch Waylon are represented by Motown. What a magnificent label, right?

Last week I visited Soul of Motown III, an ode to Motown. I've seen the show two years ago as well and then the music was very new for me, so I was very excited! This year was a great little party as well. The show host, Brandon, played with the audience and every singer was wonderful. Spoiled as I am, I longed for every song I adore, like 'Sexual Healing', 'Superstition' or 'Build me up Buttercup'. I heard them all two years ago, so it was logical they wouldn't perform it this time, of course.

The show was awesome, the quality of the sound could've been better, but hey, it's a cover band, no artist of world format.

I'd go the next time again and again, still longing to have been born a bit earlier, let's say in the fifties. That'd mean I could've danced on soul, motown and more. Cause music is a world within itselves, with a language we all understand!

No comments:

Post a Comment